What is remote working?
Remote working – basically means any work you do that does not require you to be in an office. The rising trend of people wanting to work from places where you are happiest and productive, irrespective of your physical presence to an office or coworker. Remote working is now a reality that we cannot do without in the 21st century. Almost 40% of the workforces are working remotely in the states and all over the word
All this is happening, and the credit goes to the digital transformation we are witnessing. People can complete projects and communicate with their work teams, without necessarily having to be in the same place or even country. Meaning that even without going to an office, people are still able to work from wherever they might be. Having an internet connection, you have all the access to continue working anywhere and even manage your work teams from a remote area.
To understand remote work well, there several working categories that fall under remote work. We have those people who work full time from home. While we have others who work part-time at the office, then they take 2or three days working from home. Then we have a freelancer who works remotely on their own. All the three discretion fall under remote work
However, several people get to be confused about finding the difference between working from home, flex job, and telecommuting, and they are unable to tell the difference. To make it easy for them to understand, let’s say remote work is the umbrella term. Remote working you work from anywhere while work from home” means working from your home place only.
Flexjobs Vs Remote Working
While on the other hand, remote work means you work from any location. Flex jobs you work at flexible hours some hours you spend in office and others away from the office. Besides not all flex jobs fall under remote work. Flex job most of the time, only give the employee a flexible time for them to be able to work when they feel comfortable. Worth noting flex job gives you the freedom to shift working hours during the week and sometimes even to share with another part-time worker while they are way.
Telecommuting. Mean remote work, but it is an old term that was used to describe remote work. A telecommuter is somebody who works either entirely from home but in the same geographic location with the office. They usually will go to the office for a meeting and go back home to continue working. But for a remote worker location is not a limit you could be in London and talking to your boss in Singapore
That being said these days there is no much difference when you are talking about these jobs the term used is remote work.
The question many people as asking is whether remote work;works or not. For people who are still in the dark remote working is live and real. And 77% of remote workers record improved productivity compared to traditional office employees who are at 65%.
Work Advantages and Disadvantages
Having now known what remote work is all about here are some of the merits and demerits.
• Long term job-Most remote jobs are very reliable. Remote working is less stressful, making workers have more time to handle other issues that would have risked their career. Hence there is some sense of job security when working. Think of when you’re forced to transfer to another city, being pregnant and your partner moving to another town. It can cost you a fabulous job, unlike remote work, where you still work from anywhere.
• More time spent for deep work-Working at the office a lot of time is wasted due to interruptions. Remote working there are no interruptions; thus, employees can concentrate and deliver quality work.
• Workers feel healthier-several studies carried by many institutions have found out that having flexibility at work lowers the stress levels of worker.Thus bettering their mental health. Moreover, according to Forbes, workers who commute complain of not having enough time to eat and exercise. Remote workers don’t have to face that problem. Thus they have better health than office workers.
• Contributes to ending gender wage and leadership gaps-remote working has seen companies coming up with projects that have dramatically contributed to reducing the gender imbalance at workplaces and leadership. Many women are now able to work from their homes and contribute to the wellbeing of the family and society in general. Some the discrimination witnessed at office workplaces it’s nowhere in remote working. Remote working allows anyone from anywhere to work for any cooperation. Allowing even the marginalized people to earn a living and also work for a more prominent organization.
Some of the demerits
• Feeling isolated-one risk associated with remote working, you are most likely to run the risk of feeling isolated. Primarily, if you are used to working in an office environment. However, some companies have a remedy to spice the lives of workers. When workers feel there is monotony at home, they provide co-working space for remote workers.
• Responsibility to stay on track-Remote work is for self-motivated people, and if you are not, then you might find it a problem. But all said remote working teaches you how to take ownership of responsibilities and that’s wonderful, and it’s not bad trying out.
• Not having access to your team-remote operations requires you to be a perfect planner, and if you are not, you might have it hard. Since, you don’t have direct access to tour team to ask questions. At any time you want. You must schedule the thing you are working own to make sure you get all the details about a specific assignment
As we have observed while technology continues to advance remote working becomes more prevalent, and many industries are opting to employ remote workers. Remote works are almost in every sector of the economy. If you are interested after knowing what remote work means. It is now your time to do some personal searches on remote job boards, and you will find how you are missing out on several opportunities